Cocoa Bottom Banana Bars
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 5 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan (or, if you have a special brownie pan, go ahead and grease that...these pans are the best!).
- Beat sugar and butter in a bowl until creamy.
- Add bananas, egg and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add this mixture to the banana mixture and beat until well blended.
- Divide batter in half. Stir cocoa into one half. Spread the chocolate batter into the prepared pan. Top with the plain batter; swirl with a knife.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
What is your favorite fruit to add into batter when baking?